Being Wheezy Isn’t Always Easy

Freshers flu may plague us all when starting university, but for those suffering from asthma, it may be the least of their worries. Asthma attacks are far more common in the first few months of term, and can be a significant point of concern for these suffering from the respiratory condition. 

University exposes asthma sufferers to a wider variety of potential triggers and disengages them from their usual prevention routine, meaning the chances of an attack dramatically increase. Freshers flu, sleeping less, eating badly and falling out of preventer inhaler routines all contribute to asthma symptoms.

3 people in the UK die every day as a result of an asthma attack

According to Asthma UK, half of British adults with asthma have allergic triggers, but the majority of those with the condition have never been tested. Furthermore, only a quarter of 18-34 year-olds use a personalised action plan and are the age group least likely to attend their annual review. This is worrying as 3 people in the UK die every day as a result of an asthma attack. 

Amazingly, 1 in 11 people still believe that asthma cannot kill. Understanding what triggers an individual’s asthma attacks and forming routines to avoid them is essential to managing the condition.

In order to control your asthma at university, it is essential to let those around you know about your condition so that they are informed incase of an emergency. 

Keeping your accommodation well ventilated to reduce mould spore accumulation, washing sheets on a high temperature to kill dust mites and regular hoovering can all help to reduce allergic triggers. Finally, getting tested for allergic triggers is an essential way forward in managing your asthma and is recommended by NICE guidelines.