Warm up, Cheer up

Fashion is not just for wearing but for admiring, and with the clocks now back and the extra hours of darkness creeping in, online editor Sarah Mortimore unpicks the optimism underlying some of the key AW1920 trends. Think colour, shine, even pieces made from jelly. Whether you own these clothes or are simply appreciating them, they promise to make you smile, give you a lift, and warm you up from the inside ou. More than just fleeting trends, AW fashion prescribes a whole wardrobe of positive uplift when you look for it.

Colour Blocking: The opening of Max Mara’s show probably epitomises the sentiment of clothing uplifting winter spirit. With three models striding out in head-to-toe turquoise, blue and yellow, the sartorial confidence of this bold colour blocking brings an undeniably cheery note to power dressing. The brand’s decision to update their timeless coat from neutral to bright tones shows that with a little bravery, even the most colour shy can benefit from a rainbow upgrade. 

Image result for max mara show opening 3 coats
credit: Fashion Feed

Double Denim: It was all over the men’s catwalks, and the Canadian tuxedo offers a cheeky alternative to the clamour of a suit. An all-white affair is probably more fun in theory than practice (unless your washing machine is really good), but it’s angelic tones offer a virtuous alternative to the mundaneness represented by everyday 9-5 uniform.

Model front close up - Men's Off-White Cotton Denim Red Ear Work Jacket Paul Smith
credit: Paul Smith

Positive Puffers: A make-over of everyone’s cold-weather favourite, this Richard Quinn coat shows that the most insulating and weatherproof garms can be as equally protective of our inner spirits. When you have to wear a coat every day, why not wear something that makes everyone around you smile too. 

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is image.png

Fur Queen: Shrimps always do faux fur best. A hat would have been a more sensible choice, but this headbands’ impracticality, coupled with its regal silhouette teaches us to approach the cold head on (middle fingers up optional). The subtle animal print only enhances its playful nature. 

Melete Headband - Leopard, shrimps
credit: Shrimps

Bad Romance: This dress is gothic enough to entertain any ghostly desires still looming over from Halloween. Valentino show us that sometimes romance is best worn dead, and those with more sombre palettes can feel the love of nature’s blooms. Valentino extended the love by incorporating poetry into their collection, and their decision to embroider lines within seams and hems offers inspiration for upcycling clothes in a more personal way.

Image result for valentino lovers dress
credit: FarFetch

Something new: Gel is a defining feature of Kane’s AW19 collection, and its molten qualities bring unexpected fluidity to outfits. Partnered with gunmetal and crystals, Kane shows that sometimes, the best way to tackle the cold is with a little outlandish hedonism.

credit: MatchesFashion

Wrap Up: Many of the men’s catwalks bundled up in oversized scarfs, and the bigger the better if you want to share it with your cold friends. As an acceptable compromise on a blanket and a whimsical nod to Harry Potter, big scarfs show that our clothes can even give us a hug if we need them to. Research even suggests that keeping your nose covered can help ward off a cold, so perhaps there really is some Hogwarts magic in this autumn/winter essential.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Neon-Final-1.jpg