Movember: Looks and Lessons

Online editor Sarah Mortimore collates some products to help your Movembers, and reflects on the wider lessons the campaign offers the fashion industry on how to do sartorial charity.

The LUU media teams are doing a combined Movember, donate here: https://uk.movember.com/team/2362500?utm_medium=share&utm_source=dynamic&utm_campaign=copy-clipboard&fbclid=IwAR0pffjjQjKEcBHkEJDZhVBztK7EXcDtO6_EXiW-23AisyvNu8b-rr1Y3ts

By growing a moustache to ‘save a bro’, all money raised from Movember goes towards men’s health causes, including Prostate Cancer, Testicular Cancer and mental health/suicide prevention.

Movember remains a great example of how style can translate into charity. Many fashion brands now jump on the charity wagon, rolling out token products that donate a small percentage of sales to causes. There is nothing wrong with fashion’s charity endorsements, and every little really helps, however Movember’s budget-friendly nature, alongside the unmissable statement of the moustache makes it a great model for future projects. When style offers itself as altruism, it is most effective when it remains accessible for all, and sends a clear, proud message about the cause it’s collecting for.  

For those embracing their new look, we’ve collated a moustache kit to make November that little bit smoother and tidier. Support for the bros need not just come from the bros, and shaving brand Billie encourages women to down the wax, bleach and razors, and embrace Movember too. For those men and women who are struggling with the home-grown, we’ve also scoured out some alternative tashes (we hear marker pens work wonders).

Beard Oil, Horace, £10
credit: Horace
Wax, MoBros, £6, Various Scents
credit: NotOnTheHighStreet
Comb, MoBros, £3
credit: MoBros
Vinyl Moustache Decals, Etsy, £2.03
credit: Etsy
Straws, £3.75, Ebay
credit: Ebay
Sharpies
credit: Amazon