Getting Into a Relationship in Final Year: Is it worth it?

As freshers, we all have high expectations for student life. Those mainly being to make lifelong friends, drink as much as physically possible, and find the love of our life. But in the blink of an eye, third year has come around, and while you may have had a blast, the lifelong partner is nowhere to be seen. But is that necessarily a bad thing? 

As we all know, we’re fully into the swing of cuffing season. And on these cold winter days, we’d all love a Netflix partner that isn’t a cushion or a deliveroo. But while it might be ever so slightly disheartening, there are definitely perks to being single at this point. 

The main one being time management. If you’re anything like me, studies often consist of more procrastination than actual work. And in that last push of academia, with an alarmingly blank dissertation word document and constant deadlines, there’s no more vital time to knuckle down than final year. But throw a boyfriend into the mix, someone who is obliged and willing to spend all their time with you and make you feel good, and absolutely nothing gets done. We hate to admit it, but a relationship is the ultimate distraction from uni, because it’s just so much more fun. Swapping those cosy nights in bed for productive nights in the library is probably the most boring concept on the planet, but so much more gets done, and with no time constraints, nothing gets rushed. Maybe it’s just better to park the love life until you’ve submitted that diss.

And then there’s the aftermath of university to think about. As mad as it seems, this time next year you’re going to have to be a proper adult. Yes, it’s time to move away, find your dream job, and just generally try and establish your life. And when you’re finding your place in the real world, the least of your worries is wondering what your partner might want to do. There’s a chance that it could prevent taking exciting job opportunities, due to commitment to making the relationship work. Sure, if you leave uni with a long-term partner, entering the real world together is a really exciting concept. But it’s definitely something to consider when getting into a new relationship. Is it worth turning down opportunities if you aren’t certain you can make it work? 

Having said this, however, that’s not to say it can’t work, and it can even be an advantage. Even in final year, you can’t be studying the whole time. When done right, a relationship can be less of a distraction, and more of a well-earned break, and a means to de-stress. What better way to reward a massive library session than a date night? If you’re really organised, you can even organise your schedule to guarantee that perfect balance of quality time and study. And let’s face it, if you can balance a relationship during that dreaded final exam season, you two are basically sorted for life.

So, there’s definitely perks on both sides. But in the grand scheme of things, it’s not the be all and end all. Smash out that degree whatever your status may be.  

Katy Henderson