In The Middle With BabyStep Magazine

Ahead of their studio move to the city-centre of Leeds, we decided to sit down with BabyStep to discuss their initiatives, values and idiosyncrasy that has led to their snowballing success since 2017. BabyStep has already assimilated lots of Leeds’ most talented creatives which has provided support and expanded the brand. BabyStep fuses the ingenius community of Leeds through electronic sounds and fascinating content. It is more than a magazine or a radio show, but an inclusive collective which offers the opportunity to showcase artistry. 

What inspired you to start the magazine?

It was a medley of different places, people and sounds. A trip to Ibiza certainly stands out as one of those places, I went at the age of 17 and it was my first proper experience of nightlife and electronic music. The trip was the first time I had gone out of my comfort zone when it came to music. I knew after that experience that I wanted to carry on exploring different kinds of music. Returning back to the island a year later and interviewing the same DJ’s who’d converted me to electronic music a year before was certainly a weird feeling. 

I then started university in Leeds and from the minute I was there I knew I wanted to start documenting what was going on in the city. The problem was I didn’t know how. I vividly remember listening to the song ‘BabyStep’ by Kornél Kovács and having a realisation that making a magazine was the way to do it. 

How was 2019 for the magazine? 

2019 was without doubt our most successful year so far, we’re so happy about how it’s gone. We formed our radio show, put on our first event and massively expanded our presence in Leeds. It still is unbelievable just how supportive people have been, constantly coming to us with praise and new ideas for the magazine. 

What else do you hope for BabyStep to achieve in 2020?  

To just keep plugging away at the work we are doing now. I’m really happy to announce that we’ll be moving into a full-time studio in the city-centre of Leeds. It’s something we’ve always dreamed of and we can’t wait to get fully moved in. It’s our hope that the studio will truly allow us to achieve our dream to not only provide a platform but an actual facility that supports the creative community in Leeds, welcoming in people from all walks of life. We want the studio to be able to provide the Leeds community with recording facilities, as well as art & music workshops for the public. We also have some events coming up too, which we can’t wait to announce soon. 

Would BabyStep ever think about bringing out Art or Clothing etc? 

We try our best to collaborate with local artists, who’ve helped us so much with the image of the magazine. Lawrence Perry is the man responsible for our logo, it’s unbelievable how he transformed such a generic idea we had into the logo of our dreams. We are really passionate that any artist we have on board is given their own creative freedom, to ensure that we give them a very rough brief and let them do the rest. 

What are the ethics of BabyStep? 

Inclusivity is at the heart of what we do. We want to the magazine to act as a community that welcomes everybody, we are always striving to find ways to achieve that. We always make sure the articles we write, events we put on and image we have is one of inclusivity. It is also crucial for us that anything we do has purpose to it, we are just about to approach a stage where things like advertising, merchandise and collaboration will come into play. We want to make sure with all those things that we put the readers of the magazine first and not jeopardise the relationship we have with them. That’s why we will make sure that any adverts, merchandise or collaborations we do will be things we believe in and are truly passionate about. 

How would you describe BabyStep in 5 words? 

Collaboration, Inclusivity, Exploration, Expression, LEEDS.